Friday, December 14, 2007

Why this blog?

In the early 90's I attended a Multnomah prayer retreat with about 50 other pastors. No agenda, no speaker, just meeting God. It was pretty scary. It sounds stupid now, but many of us pastor types are really afraid to spend extended time alone with God. I think deep down we really have a sense that if we don't get close to God we can fool him into thinking that we really are not all that messed up. ( It goes back to the Garden of Eden and hiding in the bushes from God. We really haven't come all that far)

Anyway, during that time, I was meditating on Isa 42:3-43 A bruised reed he will not break,and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out.In faithfulness he will bring forth justice; 4 he will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth.In his law the islands will put their hope." NIV

The Lord reminded me of a picture I had seen in National Geographic 25 years earlier of a Huey Helicopter rescuing a downed pilot during the Viet Nam war. The thing that I remembered from the article was "The plane is not important but the pilot must be saved to fly another day.

The Lord placed a passion upon my heart to care for pastors. Too often, pastors go down and never pastor again. I want to explore how we can change this.

No comments: