Monday, January 14, 2008

I haven't written lately

Sorry for those of you who have looked here and found nothing new for the past two weeks. I've been traveling extensively and found myself too tired to write at the end of the day. Not an excuse, but at least an explanation.

I found today that some of you have not been able to post comments. I think I have remedied that situation. If you still find you can post a comment, please email me at mbigelow@stadia.cc and I will work some more on it. I'm still new to this blog business.

I removed the survey this morning since no one could post to it. Overwhelmingly, 80%, people felt that betrayal is the worst bruising they have undergone. I have to confess that it makes sense to me.

I've been thinking the last few days about the role of music in helping us through our bruisings.

In the two major bruisings of my life I have found each time a song has spoken very clearly to me and helped me through it.

When we lost our daughter 32 years ago, "It is Well with my Soul" became a solid resting place for our faith. Sometimes we sang it by faith, trusting that it was well with our souls even though it didn't feel like it.

Last year, as we went through other trials, "Blessed be Your Name" became a source of strength. The only downside of having songs that take you through these times is that you can hardly ever sing them again without our eyes becoming moist as we think of God's faithfulness to us. However, that's a small price to pay for the blessings we have received from song.

Martin Luther said, "besides theology, music is the only art capable of affording peace and joy of the heart…"

It's no wonder he wrote "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" while on trial for his faith.

He also said, "I have no use for cranks who despise music, because it is a gift of God. Music drives away the Devil and makes people happy; they forget thereby all wrath, unchastity, arrogance, and the like. Next after theology, I give to music the highest place and the greatest honor."

So, find a song, sing it strong and let it help strengthen you through the hard times.

I would be interested in other songs that you have found a help in times of trial. Please post a comment and let me know.

No comments: