Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Rein me in and reign in me

This phrase came to me this morning as I was praying. I was thinking about how I love to pray the prayer of Jabez, enlarge my territory, but hate to be reined in. I love unfettered freedom to pursue whatever activity I may desire, but chafe at discipline to go in a direction that the Lord may want me to go.

In the abstract, I always want to do God's will. In the particulars I find it hard to stay focused on His will.

I watched a leader who had several assistants who waited until he needed something and then were instantly there to carry out his directive. While, I'm not sure I like that leadership style, I wish I had the attitude of those assistants. I wish I was more interruptible to carry out the directives of my Lord. So, I pray today, “ Lord, rein me in and reign in me.”

I am convinced until I am willing to be reined in and under His control that He will never reign in me.

No comments: