Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Oreo Cookie shakes take 2

Okay, so yesterday's post was not very clear. Let me try to muddy the waters some more.
What I was trying to say was that when I spend money on non-God honoring things, for me, an Oreo cookie milkshake since I fight the Battle of the Bulge, I am not honoring God with my wealth.

It seems logical that if we are not tithing plus some, we are not honoring God with our wealth, but beyond that, exercising stewardship of our wealth and our lives is another place where God can be honored or dishonored.

So, our spending habits need to honor God- be it in housing choice, automobiles, clothing styles,recreational choices, and Oreo Cookie Shakes--or what ever your addictive food is.

I have always said, "Show me a person's calendar and check book, and I can tell you what and who they love."

Two verses speak to this. 1 Tim 6:17-18 commands us to be generous. So when I am not generous I am not honoring God with my wealth.


17 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.NIV

In that same vein, James says if we are only getting to spend on our pleasures God isn't going to answer our prayers.

James 4:33 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. NIV

Don't know if this is any clearer, but I'm still not going to have an Oreo Cookie shake

No comments: