Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I've Arrived

Last night, on the way home from work, I saw a brand new sports car driven by a 35 year old with the license plate frame, "I've Arrived". It struck me as bad on a number of levels.

It struck me first as arrogant. If you have to flaunt it and tell the world you've arrived, you really haven't arrived at any place very important.

I then thought about how sad it was that at 35 this person had reached his destination. What now? At 35 is there no place left to go, is there no adventure left?

And then I thought, "How does he know?" My experience has been that when I think I've finally made it, God has another place for me to go or person to love.

Finally, I thought, "How short sighted!" As a Christ follower, I won't have arrived until I arrive in heaven to bask in the glory of God. Until Jesus says, "Well done, you good and faithful servant!" I won't have arrived.

Until then, I'll drive my perfectly fine 8 year old car, with no license plate frame and follow Jesus by faith. I also pray that someday I'll get a chance to talk to introduce that person to Jesus Christ and the joy of the journey.

No comments: