Friday, July 31, 2009

The Joys of a small wedding

Last week, my daughter got married in our backyard. Over the past 4 years as a missionary she has become increasingly un-enamored by American excess in almost everything we do. So, she wanted a simple wedding with a few close friends and family around her.

At first, her mom and I felt like she would be missing too many things, she wanted no attendants, no cake, no processional, no recessional, no professional photographer, no professional musicians, no catered dinner. We kept saying, we can afford it, she kept saying, "It's not about the money".

I have to confess it was one of the most wonderful weddings I've ever been to. The atmosphere was relaxed. The bride and groom greeted each guest as they arrived, walked among them visiting and when it was time, they stood up in front of the people. Both of Anna's grandfathers had a part, they exchanged vows, Jonathan (her husband) sang to her, they exchanged rings and then invited everyone to sit down to sandwiches and ice cream from Anna's childhood favorite ice cream place, Leatherby's. People visited and laughed and ate for 2 hours, people came back for thirds of ice cream, family helped clean up and by 8:30 that evening, the couple was on their way to their honeymoon, without stress and without exhaustion.

As I think about this a week later, the words that come to mind are joy, friends, wonderful, family, God, closeness, gratitude.

It was all a wedding should be. An added benefit, I'm not in debt up to my neck, so we are able to share more with them on their mission.

I'm wondering how many other things I could simplify in my life!

No comments: