Saturday, August 1, 2009

Life Joy

I have been reading the Beatitudes everyday for the past week. Today I read from the Amplified Bible. Notice their translation of "Blessed"

Matt 5:3
3 Blessed (happy, to be envied, and spiritually prosperous — with life-joy and satisfaction in God's favor and salvation, regardless of their outward conditions) are the poor in spirit (the humble, who rate themselves insignificant), for theirs is the kingdom of heaven!AMP

That phrase "life-joy and satisfaction in God's favor and salvation, regardless of their outward conditions" really caught my attention. I am far too swayed by my physical health, tired-ness, amount of adrenalin I have expended, how people look at me, or by how much money is or isn't in my account, etc..

When I was in India, I had the chance to preach in a small village. The worship team, 7 or 8 older men, all of whom had been beaten and threatened with death, lead vibrant worship with dancing and praises. Their scars from beatings were overcome by the joy that broke through onto their beaming faces. Though poor and having worked a full day (10-12 hours not 8) their circumstances didn't determine their response to Jesus.

I am humbled. I commit myself to being poor in spirit , considering myself as second this week, praying that life-joy will suffuse my being and radiate to those around.

No comments: