Thursday, August 20, 2009

If TLC ever interviews you, go see a psychologist immediately

Last night I looked up in the middle of a TLC program about people obsessing about their pets. I'm not crazy claimed a woman who had 150 outfits for her dog. Her husband said, "He has more clothes than I do." She brushed the dogs teeth, used TP on the dog, and protestations aside, was clearly crazy.

My daughter said, "If TLC ever asks you to be on their show, you need to see a counselor." $230 per week on cat food, 150 dog outfits, a monkey that goes everywhere and has matching outfits with his owner-- the thing that bothers me is when people care more about their pets than they do about people. Clearly something is wrong.

Pet's are many times easier than people to deal with because we are bigger and smarter and they come to us to have their needs filled. They allow us to be "like God" and "love" us back, as long as we meet their every need. Kids, spouses and neighbors require give and take and don't always respond the way we want. When we play God with them, they usually walk out on us. It's harder.

But, Jesus didn't say, "I came to seek and to save those dogs who were lost" He came to seek and save people! To the lady who spends $230 per week on 11 cats, I say, spend $30 on regular cat food, and help bunches of others people with the difference. To the woman who buys more for her dog than for her husband, I say, get it right! Love your husband more than your dog.

No comments: