Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Flapping Wings and Hissing Geese pt. 2

As bruised reeds and smouldering wicks we often feel intimidated. It seems like there is always someone around bigger or bad-er or meaner than we are. I remember as a senior in high school, and one of the bigger guys on the football team feeling pretty good about myself, until I met one of the “Purple People Eaters” the front four for the Minnesota Vikings. As he shook my hand, I was engulfed in this monster appendage that dwarfed me. It is still one of those defining memorable moments of my youth.
Ps. 138:3 says, “When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted.” Yesterday I took a day for prayer. I have to confess my agnosticism as I started my day of prayer. The first thought was, “Does anything really happen when I pray?” I know we’re not supposed to voice those kinds of doubts in politically correct Christian circles, but sometimes I wonder if I’m talking only to myself.
I guess that’s where faith comes in. I continue to seek God’s face, even in the silent times, even when I’m intimidated by the huge things that face me, trusting in God to make good on the two promises of Psalms 138. “You made me bold and stouthearted”(v.4 ) and “The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me” (v.8).
If you struggle with prayer, keep struggling. I promise I will. And someday, when we all see Jesus, we won’t have to talk to Him by faith. We will be face to face.

No comments: