Monday, August 17, 2009

Flapping Wings and false fears

This afternoon I walked by a lake in the Sierras. 7 Canadian geese think they own a corner of the lake and are very territorial. I walked towards them to see what would happen. Sure enough they came charging at me, wings flapping, hissing and honking. Weighing 5 times as much as all of them put together, I stood my ground, and they still advanced. When I hissed at them, they hissed back and still advanced. I was beginning to get a little nervous.

I decided to mimic them and flapped my arms and hissed, they immediately turned around an began to go the other way. I stopped flapping and they stopped, although by now they were walking away from me keeping a distance. I flapped my arms again and they began to waddle quickly.

I began to think about some of the things I am intimidated by, people saying "No" to me. People thinking bad things about me, people blustering at me to get their own way. I've decided that like geese, many of these will go away if I'll just step forward and meet their flapping head on.

Satan is a liar. Peter says he is a roaring lion, making fierce noises to drive us into the teeth of other temptations. I say, From this point on, I'm going to stand up and confront my fears.

No comments: