Monday, August 10, 2009

It's what comes after the comma

Listening to some sports talk on TV about the steroid scandal, I heard Mike Greenberg say, that keeping your name and reputation clean is of huge importance. I liked his quote, "It's what comes after the comma, that determines your reputation."

I like that thinking. Proverbs 22:1 says, "A good name is more desirable than great riches;to be esteemed is better than silver or gold." NIV

What do you want after the comma behind your name?

I look at Scripture and see several descriptions that I would like to see after my name.

  • David, a man after God's own heart
  • Abraham, a friend of God
  • John, the disciple whom Jesus loved

There's also some I wouldn't want.

  • Judas, the one who betrayed Jesus
  • Demas, who deserted me

Currently, there is a big push towards personal branding. It's our attempt to control what's after the comma. But the reality is, others will fill in the blank after the comma. They ultimately decide how we will be known.

There are probably several audiences that will write the phrase that comes after your name.

  • Your spouse will write one phrase.
  • Your children will write another.
  • Your boss or employees will write still another.
  • Your friends will write something different that describes your relationship

Most importantly, God will write the only phrase after your name that really counts. The one I want after my name is: Marcus Bigelow, good and faithful servant.

No comments: